Tuesday, February 14, 2006

¡Muchas Gracias!

This project has raised my awareness on some of the issues sea turtles face in the world. Spending time in Playa Ostional allowed me to witness some of the adult marine turtle activities, egg development and hatchlings. As an outsider I observed some of the community functions and interactions between the people and the marine turtles.

The arribada is a phenomenon that is almost unbelievable until you witness the gradual coming of the turtles over a few days. A less mentioned and equally important event is when there is a massive hatching of tortuguitas. This is when hundreds of hatchlings race towards the ocean and the beach is hustling with bird activity.

I would like to thank Rick Skinner, president of Royal Roads University for granting me such a terrific opportunity and his endless support for this project. This experience has changed my perspective on global issues dealing with wildlife and community interactions. A change in perspective has changed my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home